Assistant Professor in Forest Sciences at the Agricultural University of Iceland
The Faculty of Environmental and Forest Sciences at the Agricultural University of Iceland seeks applicants to fill a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor in the field of forest sciences. Ideally, the candidate will have a focus on afforestation and forest utilization and its link to sustainable land use, to complement research, teaching and outreach undertaken by the faculty. The Faculty of Environmental and Forest Sciences emphasizes sustainable management of natural resources, and its role is to create a bridge between nature and society by studying, educating, training, and advising sustainable land use and ecological restoration.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Conduct and lead internationally recognized research in the field of forest science, environmental sciences, or related sectors.
- Publish peer-reviewed articles, secure research funds and take active part in international and national collaborations
- Teach and develop courses at undergraduate and graduate level
- Supervise students in research projects
- Participate in the faculty’s administrative work as relevant
Education and skills
- PhD in forest science or related fields
- Experience in research and development on afforestation, sustainable forest management or forest climate impact.
- Experience in teaching and interest in developing new approaches for knowledge transfer in the field
- Experience in participating in research projects and securing research funds
- Track record of published research in acknowledged international fora and a clear vision of future research
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills
- Excellent command of English and preferably Icelandic
- Bjarni D. Sigurðsson, Head of Faculty of Environmental and Forest Sciences (
- Guðmunda Smáradóttir, Human resource and Quality manager (
Deadline for applications is April 3rd, 2023.
The application shall include certificates attesting to education and work experience, a list of publications, a summary of previous work experience (scholarly and other) and a letter of introduction, stating research interests and future ideas regarding teaching and knowledge transfer in the field of environmental sciences.
Initial part-time position could be possible. The work will commence as agreed between the appointee and the university.
According to regulations of the Agricultural University of Iceland the rector is permitted to grant a promotion to the position of Associate or Full Professor immediately following a new recruitment, should the appointee fulfil required qualifications.
The Agricultural University of Iceland reserves its rights to reject all applications. All applicants will receive an answer when a decision about the appointment has been made.
Salary is in accordance with the current collective wage and salary agreements of public servants.